Do you use PR to promote your business? Would you like to understand how to use PR effectively?
This session will be an introduction to Public Relations, providing an understanding of how to go about promoting your business through media coverage. We’ll cover:
1) Basics of PR – what it is and how it differs from marketing / advertising
2) Press announcements – different ways of making announcements – how to write a press release (headline, copy, boilerplate, quotes, format etc.), how journalists like you to pitch (email, phone), thinking about pictures, embargoes/deadlines etc.
3) Press lists / contacts and how to establish and maintain good relations with key contacts.
4) Features – overview of setting up features, interviews, real life stories and thinking creatively around projects.
Elin Rees is a dedicated and creative PR professional who has a wealth of experience working in communications roles at leading organisations, including BBC Television and Radio.
Having spent ten years working in London she moved back to her home town of Cardiff at the end of 2011 and established Elin Rees Communications in January 2012.
Elin is a fluent Welsh speaker with national and regional media experience who delivers impactful strategic PR campaigns for clients both in Wales and across the UK. Since 2012 her clients have included BBC Radio 1, BBC Cymru Wales, MTV, Swn Festival, Welsh Music Prize, Green Man Festival, Cyfle, Wales Millennium Centre, TV Licensing and many businesses based in South Wales.
In 2014 Elin won the ‘Best Professional Services’ award at the Cardiff Life Awards.
Date: Tuesday 1st July 2014
Time: 6.00pm – 8.30pm
Place: Hilton Hotel, Chepstow Road, Langstone, Newport NP19 2LX
Food: Delicious buffet including dessert
Price: Free for members and £15 for non-members*. Monthly membership £10. Annual membership for 12 months is only £85.
* First time visitors may attend for free if they arrive with a GBWN postcard (excluding special events). Postcards are available from GBWN members.