To help celebrate International Women’s Day Bethan Darwin, an employment and boardroom solicitor, joined us at our March event where she shared with us her thoughts on women in business, the media and politics, and what we can all do to help increase positive female representation in these areas.
Bethan spoke about how the number of female Assembly Ministers in Wales is currently declining and women are still under represented in media and politics, but a question for us all is how we change this when it appears from the media that what is important is image and celebrity?
Bethan suggested that as women in business we can help to change this as the more successful women in business there are the more will follow, giving the following recommendations in three key areas to help us all get there; your business, greater visibility and having it all:
- Set up your board – surround yourself with experts and friends who will talk to you objectively and critically
- You’ve got to learn to love accounts!
- Don’t be afraid to ask questions
- You’ve got to have the courage of your convictions to make decisions
- Learn from your mistakes
- Never take your eye off the ball – you need to understand exactly what is going on in your business
- Get yourself seen – take a public appointment or become a charity trustee and watch how other people do things
- Talk to the media – they’re always looking for contributors and it doesn’t take a lot to be seen as an expert in your field
- Use social media – it helps to raise your brand’s profile
- Share the love – give advice and support freely to other business people
Having It All
- You can’t have it all – you have to work out what is your priority
- You’re not superwoman but that’s okay!
- Make some time for yourself
- It’s okay to give the children baked beans for tea sometimes!
- It’s a balance
These simple but effective tips helped us all realise we can get what we want but we don’t have to be Superwoman to do it!